Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
Reporting to the State Program Coordinator, the Texas Program Associate is primarily responsible for supporting teacher directed communications and events management for our Policy Fellowships and additional events, opportunities, and programs for teachers. In addition, the Texas Program Associate will support recruitment and selection and will provide administrative and data management support for Texas Policy Fellowships, the Texas Network, conferences, and retreats. The role will include opportunities for professional growth in education policy and nonprofit management. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Update social media and other forms of communication to keep local teachers informed about key educational issues and to promote Teach Plus.
- Identify opportunities for teacher leadership and publicize them through a monthly teacher leadership email and social media outreach.
- Review major publications covering education policy and drafting tweets highlighting key articles for the @teachplusTX Twitter handle.
- Maintain certain local pages of the Texas website.
- Manage logistics and set up for monthly Fellows Sessions (in-person and virtual) including, but not limited to, building and sharing surveys, sending follow up emails with pre-work, and communicating logistics with Fellows.
- Plan and manage logistics for 4-5 retreats and conferences annually, including identifying venues, ordering food, managing registration, creating materials, etc.
- Support and implement marketing for upcoming teacher leadership and policy events.
- Create slide presentations, handouts, and other relevant materials to support events.
- Coordinate logistics for policy events, including vendor research, set up, technology support, and ordering necessary food and supplies.
Recruitment and Selection of Program Participants
- Support the recruitment and selection process across the policy fellowship programs in collaboration with the State Program Coordinator by helping to craft messaging, support logistics, promote opportunities, etc.
- Recruit program candidates in person, including attending and presenting at events.
- Support the State Program Coordinator in communicating application requirements and program details to applicants through multiple channels across the state, including in-person presentations, webinars, etc.
- Provide administrative, logistical, and editorial support for the policy work as needed including but not limited to, policy briefs, policy memos, testimonies, and op-eds.
- During the bi-annual Texas Legislative Session, attend hearings and meetings with Teach Plus Fellows, and monitor legislative happenings.
Administrative and Data Management Support
- Maintain accurate and timely data and enter appropriate information as it relates to the policy programs into the Salesforce database for ongoing accountability reports.
- Support the daily needs of the Texas team including scheduling meetings, initiating and answering telephone calls, and responding to direct requests for information.
- Provide meeting support as needed, e.g. preparing materials, logistics.
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience and comfort using social media platforms, spreadsheets, and database programs (e.g. Salesforce, Campaign Monitor, or similar)
- Strong project management and time management skills, with ability to work independently and effectively in a remote environment
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial environment and the willingness to contribute as needed to a growing organization
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively among regional and national team members, both in-person and in a virtual environment
- Strong attention to detail
- A passionate commitment to improving public education by retaining and supporting outstanding teachers to support the success of all students, in particular for low-income learners and students of color
- Teaching experience a plus
Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job with the potential to develop and succeed with coaching and support. We recognize that such a candidate may have a less traditional background or have different kinds of relevant experience. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off benefits.
This position will be conducted virtually (primarily from a home office). Applicants should live in, or within easy driving distance, of Austin, TX.
How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/327960
- : Teach Plus
- : 09/20/2019
- : Nicole Gary
- : firstname.lastname@example.org