I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Summary
The Teaching Policy Fellowship prepares high potential, highly effective teachers to become leaders of their peers and trusted partners for decision makers and media. The Texas Policy Manager will be a credible broker between teachers and policymakers leveraging partnerships in the Metroplex in order to lay the groundwork for teacher voice and create opportunities for teacher leaders to have influence on critical issues.
Reporting to the Texas Senior Executive Director, the Texas Policy Manager will have overall management responsibility for running the Texas Policy Fellowship program and supporting other teacher policy work across the state, growing a grassroots teacher advocacy network, and building partnerships and relationships in the Dallas-Ft. Worth education community and in the Capital.
III. Position Responsibilities
Policy & Outreach
The Policy Manager will manage Teach Plus policy strategy in DFW and leverage relationships that enable teachers to have an impact on critical policy issues by:
- In partnership with Texas Senior Executive Director, maintaining relationships with policymakers, district leaders, and education organizations in Dallas-Ft. Worth.
- Identifying opportunities for teachers to advocate for equity on behalf of their students locally and in the state Capital, and to be recognized for their excellence through awards and other honors.
- Train and support teachers as they conduct advocacy efforts to enact policy change, including providing training and input to teachers as they write op-eds, meet with policymakers, testify, and participate in community organizing efforts at the state and local level.
- Train teachers to be community organizers on issues of importance to their students, and provide them with the tools and support to be successful.
- Collaborate with national staff to engage teachers in national/federal advocacy work.
The Policy Manager will develop the skills of teacher leaders and alums in DFW and across the state to engage in policy and advocacy discussion and create a broad community of excellent and effective teachers to bring teacher voice to influence national, state and district policies, through:
- In partnership with Texas Senior Executive Director, managing the DFW Policy Fellowship, including coordinating monthly training sessions and twice-yearly retreats (including assigned readings, lectures, guest speakers, group discussions, and working groups).
- Supporting the Fellows to develop and disseminate their proposals for policy changes at the local, state and national levels.
- Developing strong relationships with Teach Plus Policy Fellows.
- Supporting teacher-led advocacy projects by providing strategic policy advice, project management, editing documents, and research support.
- Managing logistics for fellow events (both in-person and virtual events) including, but not limited to, site/vendor research, set up, ordering food and supplies, building and sharing surveys, and creation of materials.
Recruitment and Selection
The Policy Manager will identify the most outstanding and solutions-oriented teachers, and manage the selection process for the DFW Policy Fellowship.
- Implement and manage the recruitment and selection process to ensure a high quality and diverse applicant pool for Policy Fellowships.
- Develop messaging for recruitment materials and communicate application requirements and program details to applicants through multiple media across the state, including in-person presentations, webinars, etc.
Research, Communications, and Outreach
- Develop a monthly newsletter and use social media, email, and other communication platforms to promote Teach Plus and update teacher leaders, alumni, and donors regarding current educational issues, publicize Teach Plus DFW highlights, teacher leadership opportunities, and events.
- In collaboration with other Teach Plus staff, support teachers as they conduct teacher opinion research and author policy memos and briefs.
- Provide updated content for the Texas pages of the website.
Data Management and Analytics
- Conducting internal evaluations and surveys that track the progress and impact of our policy and practice programs.
- Maintaining accurate and timely data and enter appropriate information into the Salesforce database for ongoing accountability reports.
- Tracking and reporting expenses within the policy program budget
IV. Skills and Talents
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in education, teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Dedication to equity for students, and a deep belief in the power of teachers to bring about positive change.
- Experience with policy, advocacy, and/or community organizing.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, relationship-building, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to complete projects independently.
- Mission-driven, and comfort working in a fast-paced, and highly entrepreneurial environment
- Experience using social media platforms, Google Suite, Microsoft Suite
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
VI. Our Culture
At Teach Plus, we are driven by our mission and our core values are a driving force behind everything we do: Leadership, Solutions-orientation, Joy, Integrity in Practice, and Collaboration. We love what we do and we work hard to make a difference for teachers and students. We are smart, passionate, and engaged with one another. We are thought partners, collaborators, and constant learners.
VII. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off benefits.
VIII. Work Hours and Commitment
Core work hours are 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. In addition, this role requires occasional nights and weekends to support policy sessions and meet with teachers and policymakers. Periodic travel required: monthly trips to Austin and across the state, in addition to 1-2 out-of-state trips per year for staff retreats.
IX. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4673222
- : Teach Plus
- : 05/22/2018
- : Nicole Gary
- : email@example.com