I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Description
Teach Plus’ Teacher-Led Practice Network (TLPN) Initiative is an innovative program that recruits, develops, and supports effective, experienced teachers to serve as Teacher Leaders. The Teacher Leadership Coach will train and coach the Teacher Leaders leading Harmony Public Schools’ Regional Professional Learning Communities (PLCs.) Each of Harmony’s PLC Teacher Leaders will commit to guiding a team of peer teachers to improve their practice over the course of the school year, meeting at regular intervals, as provided by the existing PD calendar. PLC Leaders will host PLC meetings that are driven by a collaborative process with participants (described below) in order to focus on timely implementation gaps and learning needs. Each session will result in new or improved standards-aligned best practices for participants to test in their classrooms before the next session. In between sessions, PLC leaders continue to connect with participating teachers through ongoing support in the form of check-ins, virtual peer observations, and conversation through online tools.
Teach Plus has identified four attributes that effective teacher leaders use to improve outcomes across their schools. The Coach will support Teacher Leaders in developing capacity in:
- Skillful Facilitation of Adult Learning
- Evidence-based Decision Making
- Purpose-driven Instructional Leadership
- Change Agency
The Teacher Leadership Coach will work with Teacher Leaders to develop standards-based, teacher-led professional collaboration sessions for their PLC participants. The coach will provide ongoing coaching to the teacher leaders selected to lead this work.
There are two coach positions; one coach position is located in the San Antonio area and one in the Houston or Dallas-Fort Worth area. This is a 80% virtual position, 20% in-person training and occasional school visits.
Coach and Support Harmony Teacher Leaders
- Foster High Functioning, High Impact Teacher-Leader led PLCs
- Observe and strategically contribute in PLC meetings, when possible.
- Ensure that Teacher Leader initiative work is based in evidence and achieves desired impact.
- Support the ongoing growth and development of Teacher Leaders by providing timely and growth oriented feedback: help plan, and also attend, observe (in-person or virtually via video recording), and debrief sessions and meetings
- Meet with Teacher Leaders (in person or virtually) regularly to plan for upcoming PLC sessions, debrief previous session, and engage in leadership coaching and feedback
- Support Teacher Leaders in ongoing practice sharing, analyzing problems of practice, and developing a professional learning network
Coach Professional Learning
Teach Plus invests heavily in the development of the coaching team, supporting travel to ensure that coaches learn from and with each other in the following ways:
- Coach Orientation and support
- Support in planning and facilitating the training for Teacher Leaders
- Bi-weekly one-to-one support provided by the National Instructional Leadership Team
- Periodic observation and feedback on coaching work
To be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- 6+ years in the education field, with preference given to candidates who have both a teaching background and experience coaching teachers and school leaders
- Preference given to leaders who have led/managed instructionally transformational work
- A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform decision-making
- Experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers and/or school leaders
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Our Culture
At Teach Plus, we are driven by our mission and our core values are a driving force behind everything we do: Leadership, Solutions-orientation, Joy, Integrity in Practice, and Collaboration. We love what we do and we work hard to make a difference for teachers and students. We are smart, passionate, and engaged with one another. We are thought partners, collaborators, and constant learners.
VI. Start Date and Term
This is a one-year position, with a tentative start date of July 23, 2018. Coaches may be eligible for a new position with Teach Plus or renewal on an annual basis based on performance and school, district, or organizational partnerships.
VII. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Full time employees have access to Teach Plus’s benefit package to include medical and dental insurance, retirement, life insurance, disability, and generous paid time off benefits.
VIII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/327892
Teach Plus is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex or natural origin.