The overarching responsibility of this position is to help keep children safe, healthy, in school, and ready to learn.
National research on family homelessness indicates that life-altering levels of trauma affect the overwhelming majority of homeless families. For this reason, all services provided by the Vogel Alcove School Nurse must be informed by an understanding of how trauma affects both child and adult neuro-cognitive development and behavior.
- Familiar with the Texas Nursing Practice Act and the National Association of School Nurses’ Standards of Nursing Practice.
- Knowledge of national, state, and local student health requirements.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to empathize, understand and engage with target population.
- Strong computer and organizational skills.
- Reliable, punctual, resourceful, self-initiating, and able to follow through on tasks.
- Ability to work in a culturally competent way with diverse populations.
- Ability to work with autonomy and accountability.
- Ability to utilize supervision and management appropriately.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning and oversight of creation of Vogel Alcove school clinic.
- Manage Vogel Alcove health program.
- Manage collaboration with community providers, collaborators, and partners, including Parkland Homeless Medical Outreach Services; Care Options for Kids, Inc.; Head Start of Greater Dallas, and Dallas Independent School District.
- Become familiar with health related requirements of NAEYC, Head Start, DISD, and Child Care Licensing.
- Provide direct health care to students who become ill or injured during the school day.
- Refer children, as appropriate, to primary health care providers or other community providers.
- Eliminate or minimize health problems which impair learning.
- Implement a system for identification of students with chronic/acute healthcare needs.
- Follow action plans and physician’s orders and develop individual health plans as needed.
- Communicate information contained in the action plan with staff on a need-to-know basis.
- Maintain parental authorization records for health care services (medication administration, etc.) and release of health information.
- Establish safe systems of medication administration with proper documentation.
- Where applicable, train and monitor staff in the provision of health services (e.g., tube feedings) including delegated procedures, medication administration, and other related matters.
- Maintain an orderly, clean, safe and properly supplied clinic.
- Develop an effective system for the acquisition, maintenance, and use of supplies and equipment for the clinic.
- Create and maintain an emergency bag and evacuation system.
- Participate in emergency response drills (fire, tornado, etc.).
- Participate in the development of the Vogel Alcove emergency planning.
- Know and follow immunization laws for Texas, as they pertain to each age served at Vogel Alcove.
- Implement communicable disease control in the school including monitoring, surveillance, assessing, and excluding as appropriate.
- Assist with disease prevention and outbreak management.
- Assure that health services and activities are appropriately documented in the appropriate data base according to professional school nurse standards.
- Adhere to HIPPA/FERPA and confidentiality rules and regulations.
- Collaborate with Family Support staff to coordinate care, access to care, compliance with health requirements, and developmental services.
- Provide classroom and parent health instruction, serving as a resource to children, parents, and staff.
- Provide required staff training such as medication administration.
- Practice in accordance with the principles of Trauma-Informed Care to create a safe and caring system of support for children and their parents.
- Follow the guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act and follow The Scope and Standards of Practice.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Other duties as assigned.
Vogel Alcove offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, a generous benefits plan for regular full-time and regular part-time employees and a great working environment. Qualified candidates should submit resume and cover letter with salary history.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $28.00 to $30.00 /hour
- Vogel Alcove
PO BOX 150948 | DALLAS, TX 75315