The Membership Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of strategies for increasing individual and corporate member retention, renewal, and acquisition. The Garden prides itself in providing excellent customer service. Someone who is enthusiastic, diligent, dependable, personable, analytical, and a supporter of the environment would fit perfectly with our team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specifically, the Membership Coordinator will have responsibility for the following activities:
- Membership Development
- Work with Development leadership to provide support for new and existing membership initiatives for the acquisition of new members, the renewal of current members and the return of dropped or lapsed members including both individual members and corporate members.
- Coordinate and staff new and existing “member only” events, which may often occur on evenings or weekends
- Plan event details and activities, enlisting necessary vendor services
- Submit volunteer staffing needs to Volunteer Coordinator and ensure directions are clear
- Communicate staffing needs to Development Leadership and Event and Rentals Coordinator for Event set up and Guest check-in
- Prepare program/map for event guests
- Send post-event survey to attendees and communicate survey results to staff
- Actively recruit new individual members at the Garden, including at least one weekend day per month
- Assist in soliciting new corporate partners and follow up with appropriate correspondence including welcome packages and renewals
- Write and prepare content for membership appeals, renewals, welcome packages, and regular member communications, and work with graphic designer to develop creative concepts.
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to train and schedule volunteers for member sales during major events and busy weekends.
- Prepare necessary materials and ensure appropriate technology is available for recruitment events
- Member Experience
- Help ensure a positive member experience. Obtain feedback from members, determine member satisfaction and needs This may include surveying members during events, making phone calls, or conducting online surveys
- With input from Development leadership, plan, communicate and execute member perk benefits and member correspondence.
- Set up and process member event sales and tickets
- Solicit companies to join the member retail discount partnership program and conduct appropriate follow up for enrollment and continuation of participation.
- Administrative Functions
- Manage setup and printing for in-house mailings and work with vendors to manage outside projects relating to membership.
- Attend relevant meetings, record minutes and compile membership reports as needed.
- Manage the monthly member renewal process with assistance from the Development Assistant
- Review and update letter content annually and monthly as appropriate
- Update and send 2-mo notice emails; 7-day notice emails; Expiration notice emails (includes querying data to upload into Constant Contact lists)
- Query data and create appeal for renewal letters to annually renewing members
- Merge queried data into letters and print for annual memberships
- Schedule and manage volunteers to process renewal letter mailings
- Query data and merge into monthly email notices for annually renewing and auto-renewal memberships
- Run membership queries and reports in database as needed for member follow up, recruitment, or retention.
- Run routine member tracking reports
- Run monthly reports of membership performance for presentation for inclusion in monthly development report to the Board of Directors
- Provide Director of Marketing with information pertaining to membership as needed for website updates, email correspondence and printed newsletter
- Refer organizations seeking charitable donations to DonationMatch. Prepare and deliver charitable donations that fall outside of Donation Match as directed by Development leadership.
- Assists with special events and exhibits as needed
- Assists with special projects as needed
- Helps ensure that member records are accurate
- Other administrative duties as assigned
Job descriptions are guidelines that attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of employees, and are subject to change as needs and programs change. At the San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc., they are considered neither inclusive nor exclusive.
Status and Scope
The Membership Coordinator is responsible for providing excellent customer service to all members. The Membership Coordinator will help carry out various functions relating to the recruitment and retention of members at the Garden, as directed by Development leadership. This position coordinates member follow up, member appeals, runs routing reports, supports member events, actively recruits members at the Garden, and assists other team members with projects as needed.
Excellent organizational, interpersonal, customer service, writing and oral communication skills are essential for success in this position. Must be outgoing, energetic and creative and be able to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community. 1-2 years’ experience in a non-profit environment is required, preferably in the areas of development, membership, marketing, or outreach. Must demonstrate strong project management skills. Initiative and follow through as well as the ability to multi-task, set priorities and meet deadlines is important. A mature personality conducive toe effectively dealing with members and other donors is essential. Familiarity with various types of fundraising program in the non-profit setting is preferred. The use of discretion and tact in the handling of privileged information is necessary. Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and have database experience. Must be able to work productively and positively both independently and in a team-oriented environment. Flexibility to work weekend and evenings during busy times is needed. High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
The Membership Coordinator must ensure that information is dealt with in the strictest of confidence and discretion.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions. Intermittent standing, walking, talking, and listening to members and potential members. Some extended periods of sitting (in meetings, at desk and working at computer, or staffing a membership sales table). Position requires visual acuity to read detailed reports, audits, spreadsheets and other documents. Position requires stamina for extended days to attend early morning, evening and weekend meetings and special events and requires the ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
Position requires the ability to work in crowded settings and in office setting. Must be comfortable speaking with diverse audiences. Must be able to multitask and meet competing and inflexible deadlines.
- Expected to perform under minimum supervision and act independently within the scope of normal duties and responsibilities. Difficult or unique situations are referred to the supervisor.
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting.
- On occasion, required to work extended hours.
- Work must often meet deadlines, which can be stressful.
- Minimal travel (auto) required.
Computer/printer including donor tracking software applications, fax, office telephone, copy machine.
To apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- : San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc
- : 01/31/2019
- : Joan Wright
- : email@example.com
- : http://www.sabot.org