Honor Veterans Now
Grant Writer Job Description
Job Title: Grant Writer
This position reports to: Executive Director
Work Hours: 30 – 40 hours a week or as contracted
The Grant Writer is primarily responsible for researching, writing and following up with grantor foundations, corporations and organizations on behalf of Honor Veterans Now. Specific responsibilities include:
• Researching complimentary and appropriate grantor organizations for HVN’s mission.
• Organizing and tracking grant activity that includes an annual grants calendar with periodic follow up and grant reporting.
• Serving as the key interface in developing relationships with Foundations, corporations, and granting entities.
• Reporting to management staff – updating Executive Director weekly or as needed on progress with development activities specific to grant cycles and proposals.
The Grant Writer will provide support to and work in collaboration with the Executive Director and Marketing Director. This position requires strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize as well as multi-task. Grant writing is essential to the overall success of Honor Veterans Now. Therefore, it is imperative that the person in this role be dedicated to securing the resources necessary for Honor Veterans Now to maintain its mission.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Research foundation, city, county, state, federal and corporate grant opportunities.
• Maintain grants calendar and update white board in boardroom with grant opportunities applied for and in progress.
• Write and apply for grants.
• Maintain files of Veteran stories with input from Veteran Support Coordinator to use in grants, newsletters, etc.
• Work with Marketing Director to create HVN Newsletter and mail out to donors at least twice per year.
• Data entry and report generation with Excel and applicable donor database.
• Timely administration of donor acknowledgement/thank you letters.
• Update board members through quarterly reports of development activities and progress.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Knowledge Required
• Bachelor’s degree, preferred in writing and communications, marketing, or related field. Certification as a grant writer or membership in related professional society preferred.
• Minimum 2 years of successful grant writing in the range of $15,000 +.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Computer literate and technologically proficient in standard word processing, spreadsheet, and database software applications specific to donor development and reporting.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Publisher, Power Point)
• Highly organized and motivated.
• Comprehensive analytical skills and experience with data driven processes for identifying and articulating applicable proposals and focus for stimulating interest in the organization’s program of work and mission.
• Creative and innovative skills for producing written materials that produce strong potential support of funding sources.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative relationships with potential funding sources.
• Knowledge of and commitment to serving Veterans.
Please send cover letter, resume and writing sample/s to Dianne Hughes at email@example.com
- : Honor Veterans Now
- : 03/27/2020
- : Dianne Hughes
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- : https://honorveteransnow.org/