Responsible for developing and executing strategies that are intended to create and uphold a positive image of Community First Health Plans by working and forming relationships with various members of the media, government, and public to effectively advance the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Develops and enhances relationships with appropriate media representatives to support strategic goals. Provides media relations counsel and crisis planning/response; works to ensure a positive and cohesive public image through various media outlets and communications. Develops relationships with local and state governing bodies to coordinate legislative and advocacy education of CFHP. Works with other members of the corporate communications and marketing team to support communications objectives.
- Identifies and analyzes ongoing legislative healthcare issues at the state and local level. Develops strong working relationships and partnerships with state and local officials, providing input, and analysis on legislation that best meets the needs of CFHP and the populations it serves. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in state and local legislative issues. Provides legislative reports and updates to director and administrative leadership. (25%)
- Proactively reaches out to reporters to suggest stories that advance and support strategic objectives. (25%)
- Write and edit press releases, articles, and public service announcements, letters, fact sheets, reports, and other communication materials to support and advance CFHP strategic objectives. Serves as the primary responder for media inquiries (15%)
- Takes an active role in professional associations of interest to CFHP to promote and represent the needs and values of CFHP. (10%)
- Responds rapidly and professionally during emergency situations. (10%)
- Appropriately documents and reports relevant activities, interventions, communications, and services provided in a timely manner to the appropriate departments. (10%)
- Performs other related duties associated with the functions of the Corporate Communications & Marketing Department. (E, 5%)
- Demonstrates competence to perform assigned duties and general customer assistance responsibilities in a manner that meets the age-specific and developmental needs of customers encountered. (E)
- Appropriately adapts work and customer assistance methods to accommodate the unique physical, psychosocial, cultural, age-specific and other developmental needs of customers served by the department. (E)
- Supports University Health System mission, vision and values. Demonstrates established customer service behaviors and standards. Treats all customers with courtesy, dignity, respect and professionalism. (E)
Direct supervision is received from the CFHP Corporate Communications & Marketing Senior Manager.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, political science, or related field is required. Current Texas driver’s license is required. Strong oral and written communication skills required. Minimum of three years of experience in government affairs, public affairs, media relations, or public relations required.
Must be able to assess effective communications mechanisms for all audiences. Must be well organized, pay attention to details, and execute responsibilities in a timely manner. Thoroughness in reporting to supervisor is vital. Accuracy of the information provided to various audiences is critical. Utilizes excellent writing skills, spelling, and grammar in written communications.
Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and familiar with office equipment common to most office settings.
Those normal to a typical office environment. Some travel to the state capitol during legislative sessions required. Travel to meet with members of the media, government, and public within the service area is required. Work hours may include some evenings and weekends on occasion. Subject to frequent interruptions and deadlines.
The ability to demonstrate initiative, the capacity to problem-solve and utilize critical thinking skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to work interdependently in a fast paced environment are highly desirable. Must also successfully complete the pre-employment/post job offer health screening examination, and the annual screening, each year thereafter, as an employee.
- Community First Health Plans
- Judy Razo