DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR in Austin, Dallas or Houston, TX
Workers Defense Project (WDP) and Workers Defense Action Fund (WDAF) are seeking a full-time Development Director to lead and grow the organization’s fundraising strategy, which includes securing funding from small and major individual donors, corporations, foundations, and union supporters. We are looking for a strategic, ambitious, and senior professional with a history of and orientation toward growing organizational revenue. In particular, we are seeking an individual with the passion to build diverse and sustainable revenue streams to support a vision for economic and racial justice for working people in Texas.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of articulating and advocating for a body of work that advances the interests of working people to diverse audiences. The Development Director will need to boldly expand our fundraising work to match our plans and to seek innovative revenue streams for the long-term sustainability of our organization. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage working people, leaders in philanthropy, corporate leaders, and leaders in the labor movement.
About Workers Defense Project
WDP is a 501(c)3, statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers and their families. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has a membership base of immigrant and low-wage workers in the construction sector and their families. Through innovative sectoral organizing strategies, WDP has won unprecedented victories for construction workers, low-wage workers, and immigrants in Texas. WD uses tactics including direct action, legal strategy, policy advocacy and strategic communications to wage and win campaigns, working in coalition with diverse allies.
About Workers Defense Action Fund
Workers Defense Action Fund (WDAF) is a 501(c)4 organization that seeks to build long-lasting infrastructure that will engage working Texans in the electoral and legislative processes that affect their lives. WDAF educates and informs voters about their rights, advocates for stronger protections for workers and engages historically underrepresented voters to elect representatives that will fight for working families. WDAF educates and mobilizes voters of color and mixed status families in support of electoral, economic, and racial justice campaigns. WDAF has won strategic legislative victories for working families including paid sick leave policies, stronger protections from wage theft and safety protections for construction workers, and criminal justice reforms that disrupt the arrest to deportation pipeline.
- Develop and execute a multi-year fundraising plan for both Workers Defense Project and its affiliated 501(c)4 organization, Workers Defense Action Fund, and WDAF’s affiliated political organizations;
- Provide WDP and WDAF with entrepreneurial leadership for revenue generation;
- Identify new funding opportunities, including grant prospecting and research about high-net-worth individuals;
- Build and maintain strategic relationships with individual donors, foundations, and the labor movement in order to win resources that advance WDP and WDAF’s core mission;
- Grow WDP and WDAF’s major and grassroots donor base in Dallas, Houston and Austin;
- Expand the Development team’s infrastructure and operations by creating new systems and strengthening existing ones;
- Coordinate with WDP’s Co-Executive Directors, Senior Leadership, Board of Directors, Leadership Council members and other allies to manage key funder relationships and develop strategic grant proposals for potential funders;
- Plan and execute WDP’s annual fundraiser and other fundraising events across Texas and out of state;
- Work with the staff to align organizational budgets with fundraising prospects and ensure that the organization meets its annual financial goals and develops a strong financial base for the future;
- Manage a team of high-performing professionals, including a Grant Manager, and provide staff development opportunities as needed;
- Collaborate with Director of Communications to develop cohesive messaging across varied segments of audiences;
- Serve as part of WD’s Senior Leadership Team, which plays a key role in advancing the strategic direction of the organization;
- Enhance and use systems for tracking all donations, funder and donor prospects, and fundraising efforts across staff;
- Provide training to programmatic staff about development and delegate duties; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Workers Defense is seeking candidates who have excellent relationship-building skills, are results oriented and aren’t afraid to ask for money. Candidates must have:
- At least 5 years of fundraising experience, including experience securing and managing foundation grants;
- 2-3 years management experience and proven ability to lead a team;
- Experience working in a non-profit and fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to racial and economic justice;
- Commitment to grassroots fundraising and building community power;
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening communication skills;
- Self-motivated, hardworking individual with ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated experience building strong relationships with high-level allies and donors;
- Detail oriented;
- Strong project management skills and ability to juggle multiple deadlines and priorities;
- Willingness to travel in Texas and nationally to meet with funders, once pandemic conditions are over and safe travel has resumed; and
- Ability to work irregular hours, including occasional nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of statewide progressive funding landscape;
- Experience fundraising for both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish; and
- Have Certified Fundraising Executive accreditation (CFRE).
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
How to apply: Send resume, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Director” in the subject. WDP will conduct a criminal background check after making a conditional offer for this position.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages people of color, immigrants, women, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.
- Workers Defense Project
- Job Inquiries