Job Title: Development Associate
Reports To: Director of Development
FLSA Status: Exempt, salary
The Tobin Center, a non-profit organization, has transformed performing arts in San Antonio delivering a world-class venue and world-class performances for all. The Tobin Center strives to excite all ages, cultures, lifestyles and income levels with performances by many different artists in a wide variety of genres.
The Tobin Center for the Performing Arts’ mission is to provide state-of-the-art facilities and services in support of its major tenants: San Antonio Symphony, Ballet San Antonio, Opera San Antonio, Chamber Orchestra of San Antonio, Classical Music Institute, Youth Orchestra of San Antonio, and Children’s Chorus of San Antonio. To be self-supporting, The Tobin Center presents commercial programming and rents to for-profit organizations. In addition to hosting publicly ticketed events, The Tobin Center plays host to a number of private events, including galas, dinners, dance parties, weddings, and corporate buyouts.
The Tobin Center opened in September of 2014. It incorporates the front façade of the historic San Antonio Municipal Auditorium.
The Tobin Center is comprised of three venues:
- The 1751 seat or 2100 general admission capacity performance space in the HEB Performance Hall with adjustable acoustics for both amplified and acoustic music presentations. The main floor is convertible from traditional theatrical seating to a flat floor capable of seating 600 or more for banquet or cabaret style concert seating.
- The 250 seat Carlos Alvarez Studio Theater with numerous flexible seating configurations.
- An exterior venue, The Will Naylor Smith Riverwalk Plaza, along San Antonio’s famous River Walk, for plaza casts, film festivals and receptions.
Plays a primary support role for a fast-paced Development office that is charged with meeting and/or exceeding financial goals through a robust individual and major gifts program (restricted and unrestricted), annual giving program, and special events. Duties include data entry, reporting, receipting, acknowledgements and record management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Day to day use of database system from gift entry and records management to donor recognition and prospect management.
- Prepare mailing lists for e-communications, stewardship mailings, and solicitations.
- Track support results through data extractions and creation of custom reports.
- Prepare pledge reminders, renewals, and acknowledgement correspondence for members and donors, including letters for appropriate signatory by Tobin leadership – in a timely manner.
- Process gifts including cash, pledges and grants awarded.
- Maintain and update constituent records.
- Run detailed and summary reports on a weekly basis or as needed (VIP, ticketing, parking, Gala contributions, membership reports, etc.).
- Update membership correspondence content for members and donors on a regular basis for appropriate signatory by leadership.
- Regularly update MailChimp mailing lists for members and donors.
- Manage administration of annual membership program benefit deliverables.
- Serve as point person for all annual membership inquiries and provide direct support to members.
- Build and update gifts, benefits, and membership programs in database. Work with Director of Ticketing to regularly update gift information.
- Work with Finance to reconcile reports and perform light bookkeeping tasks.
- Perform prospect research and record pertinent donor data and research information.
- Provide administrative support for institutional giving, including sponsorships for programs and events.
- Prepare tax letters annually.
- Assist with planning and executing member and donor stewardship efforts and events (attendance at some evening and weekend events may be required).
- Assist with Volunteer Ambassador Program.
- Process monthly Ghost Light Society membership payments.
- Maintain a calendar of pertinent proposal requests and reporting deadlines for the Development Department.
- OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- A strong attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions is critical.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances.
- Must work effectively as a team player, as well as independently.
- A high level of discretion, is required due to the nature of database information.
- Capable of making decisions and following through; is a strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Capable of working with minimal supervision, and shows initiative toward finding solutions to problems.
- Interest in organizing information systems and protocol is beneficial, and creativity in doing so is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and two years of development experience is required.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Leadership – Consistently accomplishes the expected objectives and takes on extra tasks or projects as necessary. Maintains a positive, achievement-oriented attitude and influences others to do the same. Takes initiative with and is proactive in approach to accomplishing tasks. Ability to make decisions and take actions consistent with organizational goals.
- Initiative – Level of interest in role development, degree of motivation, and willingness to improve performance and increase job knowledge.
- Judgment – Uses discretion in making decisions within the scope of their job. Refers decisions beyond this scope to supervisor.
- Communication Skills – Includes the ability to express ideas effectively whether face-to-face or in writing in both individual and group situations. Communications are conveyed in a clear and concise manner to the audience. Adjusting tone and terminology to the needs of the audience. Openly exchanges information in a timely manner. Knows who to keep informed.
- Planning and Organization – Ability to schedule workload, set priorities and manage time in order to complete assignments and fulfill responsibilities.
- Management of Resources – Ability to use time, technology, and people as efficiently and effectively as possible. Makes suggestions to improve the resources that pertain to incumbent job responsibilities.
- Customer Focus – Interaction with internal and external customers. Requires putting yourself in the customer’s place, anticipating and meeting needs quickly and accurately. It also means following up and monitoring situation to be sure the customer is satisfied.
- Teamwork – Ability to interact and develop relationships with co-workers, give and receive constructive input, contribute ideas and viewpoints, adapt to changing circumstances and expectations and commitment to understand and remedy interpersonal conflicts.
- Work Habits – Demonstrates commitment, dedication, cooperation, positive behavior, adaptability, and flexibility with changes in jobs and duties. Being able to anticipate change and bring about changes when they are needed with proper professionalism.
- Creativity – Uses unique approaches and inventiveness. Seeks new alternatives and ideas. Takes appropriate action, and is efficient, resourceful, and creative in attaining position objectives. Ability to be self-directed.
- Business & Organization Knowledge – Having knowledge of The Tobin’s business involves understanding our industry and how the incumbent’s position and knowledge plays an important role in the success of the organization. It also includes the ability to acquire new knowledge of our industry and using this information to get things done.
An Application for Employment must be filled out in order to be considered for employment. The Tobin Center Application may be found at www.tobincenter.org under the Employment tab. Please send resume in addition to your application.
Mail Application to The Tobin Center Administrative Offices at:
115 Auditorium Circle
San Antonio, TX 78205
Attn: LuAnn Stidham
Or email to:
- : Tobin Center for the Performing Arts
- : 07/19/2019
- : LuAnn Stidham
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- : 2102233333
- : https://www.tobincenter.org/