Background: Chartered in 1934 the Animal Defense League of Texas (ADL) is San Antonio’s oldest, private animal shelter. ADL’s mission is to enhance the quality of life for abandoned, abused, or neglected dogs and cats in the San Antonio community by providing food, shelter, compassionate care and medical attention until they are adopted.
The Animal Defense League is about saving lives and helping move our community closer to a more humane city. Our work is important and ADL employees focus on our mission to end companion animal suffering and to find permanent, loving homes for pets. A successful candidate for this position will embrace ADL’s mission and bring determination, innovation, energy, empathy, and a passion for the work. Fulfill your life while saving lives.
The Development & Marketing Director is responsible for the development and implementation of the organization’s strategic plan to raise vital funds that ensure key objectives of the organization are funded in a cost-effective and time-efficient manner. This will be accomplished by designing and implementing a comprehensive and effective income and resource development plan. This will be done with a focus on long-term donor development, relationship building, event development, planned giving, and maximizing philanthropic support from individuals, groups, foundations, businesses, and corporations. This position will also be responsible for managing the marketing team, and ensuring a comprehensive marketing plan and strategies are developed and implemented. This position is also responsible for managing the Community Relations Coordinator and Development Coordinator positions. This is a leadership position and will be involved in key decisions, strategies and planning.
While the position is primarily Monday through Friday, the Development and Marketing Director must be able to work evening and weekends as required or necessary. This position will report directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with the Director of Finance & Business Operations, the Business Office Manager, ADL directors and managers and members of the ADL board of directors.
Essential job functions:
- Develop and sustain a well-rounded, diverse fundraising program and implement new methods of donor development
- Create and implement strategies for donor development and build relationships that will provide a diverse and sustainable funding base
- Expand and grow the donor base, particularly with individuals
- Grant writing and development
- Event planning and implementation, including set up and take down
- Must be able to successfully work with the ADL board and volunteers to further the development program
- Must be able to keep detailed records and prepare reports as needed
- Must develop ongoing and effective methods of recognizing donors ensuring timely donor recognition
- Ensures sound and innovative marketing strategies are employed through diverse mediums
- Builds strong media and public relations in the community and beyond
- Develops diverse digital and social media campaigns and communications
- Explores new ways to promote ADL, the mission, adoptions, etc. through diverse communication systems and marketing programs
- Ensures a quality volunteer program and strong volunteer presence throughout the organization
- Develops new relationships within the animal welfare community and beyond to enhance ADL’s mission
- Oversees a balanced humane education program
- All other duties as required
- Must be familiar with San Antonio, community networks, and the culture of our city/area
- Must have a minimum of five years proven fund-raising experience
- Post-secondary degree or relevant certification preferred
- Ability to work around companion animals and thrive in a non-traditional working environment
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications, and familiar with donor database software
- Must be an organized and motivated self-starter and team-player with proven fund-raising solicitation skills including the ability to hold strategic conversations with community stakeholders
- Comfortable with and experienced in capital campaign management
The Animal Defense League offers a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation and sick leave. Compensation will be based on skills and experience.
Physical demands and working conditions:
Must be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds. Position is subject to climbing, lifting, kneeling, sitting, standing, stooping, bending, and walking distances to perform essential job functions and demands. Working conditions may require working outside as well as inside with exposure to temperature variations, chemical cleaners, noise, dirt, and confined work space and unfavorable odors.
Please submit cover letter outlining your skills and success as a fundraiser and a resume detailing your experience and background to: Joel McLellan, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
- : Animal Defense League of Texas
- : 08/10/2019
- : Joel McLellan
- : email@example.com
- : Http:www.adltexas.org