Planned Parenthood South Texas is the region’s most trusted name in women’s health. Operating 7 health centers, our mission is to provide and protect the information people need to plan their families and their futures. We are seeking a dynamic, qualified individual to join our amazing Planned Parenthood family.
The Community Engagement Manager works to strengthen existing relationships, and establish new ones—with donors and potential donors, advocates, volunteers, non-profit organizations and agencies throughout Cameron County and the Rio Grande Valley. The Manager will facilitate fundraising, friendraising and advocacy efforts, and that work will be assessed quantitatively and qualitatively. The Manager will possess warm and polished interpersonal skills, and proven success developing and stewarding productive relationships with people from a wide variety of professional, economic and social backgrounds. The Manager will be comfortable speaking publicly for the organization, soliciting gifts, mobilizing advocates and supervising volunteers. The Manager reports to the Vice President for Community Engagement, but also receives instruction from the Director of Public Affairs. Primary work site will be in Harlingen, Texas, but will also be expected to work in Brownsville, Texas on a regular basis.
1. Works closely with the VP for Community Engagement to conceptualize and execute a range of initiatives which will advance the fundraising and public affairs goals of the agency, and promote a positive image of Planned Parenthood South Texas (PPST).
2. Establishes and maintains strong relationships with the people, institutions and organizations that have the potential to ensure the success of fundraising and public affairs efforts.
3. Works closely with other staff to support the Planned Parenthood Cameron County (PPCC) Board of Directors, ensuring their meaningful engagement with Planned Parenthood, our fundraising efforts and public affairs activities.
4. Engages and mobilizes supporters and volunteers who will help execute fundraising and public affairs programming. Organizes advocacy activities as well as a variety of fundraisers and friendraisers.
5. Makes direct requests for financial contributions.
6. Collects and analyzes data, produces monthly and year-over-year reports that quantitatively and qualitatively evaluate and track the effectiveness and impact of initiatives. Works closely with the Development Assistant & Database Manager to coordinate data management and evaluation.
7. Under the direction of the Director of Public Affairs, handles media interviews representing the agency and its work in the Rio Grande Valley.
8. With direction from the VP for Community Engagement, serves on internal and external committees as assigned; represents PPST at community meetings, forums and events.
9. Creates content for and posts to social media properties, in coordination with the overall PPST media and public communications plans.
10. Partners with the statewide Planned Parenthood government affairs work (when permissible), including but not limited to Lobby Day.
11. Maintains a current understanding of the limits of 501c3 activities in order to ensure that all community engagement activities are 501c3 permissible and never jeopardize the 501c3 charitable status of PPST or PPCC.
12. With support from the Volunteers Coordinator, engages and oversees volunteers to increase the people power that accomplishes the work of the agency.
13. Keeps current on developments in family planning and sexual health care, and service delivery at PPST in general, and at our Rio Grande Valley clinics in particular.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
15. Complies with the House Rules, which are a required part of the agency’s orientation, training and performance standards.
A bachelor’s degree is preferred, but may be substituted by significant experience and a record of success in one or more of the key competency areas. Certificates and course work in professional fundraising are welcome.
Previous professional or volunteer experience and proven success in fundraising is strongly preferred. Additional significant experience in one or more of the following competency areas is also strongly preferred: public relations, advocacy, communications, community organizing. Experience in the supervision of volunteers is desired. Previous non-profit experience is desired, as is experience working with agencies committed to women’s health or social justice causes.
Skills & Abilities:
-Excellent oral and written communication skills.
-Professionally fluent in spoken and written Spanish.
-Strong organizing and supervisory skills.
-Ability to plan, coordinate, prioritize and lead multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
-Ability to work as a team member and a team leader.
-Fully functional in Microsoft Office.
-Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective, professional relationships with all individuals.
-Ability to work independently and make decisions that show sound, professional judgment.
-Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed. Some evening and some Saturday hours will be required occasionally.
-Access to reliable, personal transportation with the ability to travel within Cameron County / Rio Grande Valley frequently. Primary work site will be in Harlingen, Texas, but will also be expected to work in Brownsville, Texas on a regular basis.
-Ability to travel to PPST’s central offices in San Antonio, TX occasionally.
-Ability to travel outside the service delivery area occasionally.
-Ability to lift, bend, stoop, carry, push and pull 1-20 pounds frequently.
-Highly sensitive and competent regarding issues of multiculturalism.
-Comfortable with issues of sexual and reproductive health.
-Able and willing to work for an Agency that supports a woman’s right to make personal decisions regarding health care including her right to choose what option is best for her if faced with an unintended pregnancy.
-Strong commitment to the agency’s belief that clients are at the center of everything it does, and that donors must be respected as investors in a shared enterprise.
-Demonstrates a strong, personal commitment to the agency’s position on customer service, internally and externally, for all clients, all services and all departments.