Under day-to-day supervision of the Transitional Housing Program Manager, and supervision of the Director of Transitional Housing Services, the Victims of Crime Transitional Housing/Rapid Re-Housing Case Manager (TH-RRH Case Manager) is an experienced social services worker providing comprehensive case management services to assist families qualifying as victims of crime, in transitioning from their residence at the SAMMinistries Transitional Living and Learning Center (TLLC), to permanent housing, and providing case management services to these families once they are housed away from the TLLC. This Case Manager will:
1) Work closely with the TLLC Case Management team to identify families ready to move into permanent housing;
2) Establish and maintain relationships with property managers and landlords that assist with families’ placement in permanent housing that meets established housing quality standards and is rent reasonable;
3) Be responsible for actively assisting families with housing location and securing that housing, along with processing their rental deposits and monthly rental payments;
4) Provide ongoing case management services to families who have moved into permanent housing, to include weekly home visits, development and updating of service plans, and assistance with connecting clients to resources and services in their neighborhood/assistance with integrating the family back into the community;
5) Document all case management activities in appropriate database and maintain all records required to ensure compliance with funder requirements;
6) Participate collaboratively as a member of the Transitional Housing Services team in formal and informal case staffing and consultation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Develop individual service plans to include the appropriate goals for housing stability, increased skills and/or income, and greater self-determination for movement beyond the Transitional Services Program
• Meet with families who are transitioning out of the TLLC facility into permanent housing, and those have already been placed in permanent housing, on a weekly basis
• Monitor and maintain case files for each resident, and input case documentation in HMIS and other databases within required time frames.
• Track progress and goal attainment of individual participants in case files and through appropriate and thorough case note documentation in HMIS/other data base
• Identify barriers, problem-solve, and work with clients to find solutions to those barriers pertaining to their goal achievement
• Re-assess service plans and goals on an ongoing basis, and perform a quarterly service plan and progress review with each client, following up with revised service plans that reflect goal and progress changes
• Advocate for families using available opportunities and resources to fully develop each family member’s individual potential, and assist families in addressing challenges to self-sufficiency, including lack of employment, lack of income, lack of education and skills, and mental health challenges, fostering their ability to obtain and maintain permanent housing.
• Work in collaboration with other professional disciplines, agency staff, and volunteers
• Attend weekly staffing to review resident progress, cases, problem-solve and plan services
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Skills and Specifications
• Case Manager must show integrity, initiative, drive for results, planning and organizing, and must foster teamwork and build relationships when working with other staff, clients and volunteers
• Case Manager must utilize sound judgment, decision making and problem-solving skills, and positive and professional communication
• Case Manager must possess knowledge of social work principles and practice, and must demonstrate the ability to work with adults and children who are affected by various challenges, including mental health challenges, experience of homelessness, family violence, and/or other traumas, histories of abuse/neglect, substance use, etc.
• Case Manager must demonstrate ability to provide services to families in a manner that assists them in identifying challenges, creating realistic goals that contribute to their empowerment and ability to function in a healthy and self-sufficient way, and must offer services in accordance with evidence-based practices including Trauma Informed Care and Housing First.
• Case Manager must have knowledge of community resources and must actively assist clients in accessing available services.
• Case Manager must prepare service plans that are client-centered and are developed in collaboration with each client on their caseload, and service plan progress must be evaluated quarterly, with updates to plans being made as necessary, to guide ongoing work with families.
• Case Manager must demonstrate the ability to engage property managers/landlords in a way that is respectful of their concerns and needs, while ensuring that families’ rights, needs, and safety are foremost in their selection of permanent housing.
• Case Manager will use consistent organization and time management skills to balance time spent locating housing options, meeting with families, connecting families to services, developing service plans, and maintaining case documentation that meets all grant and organizational standards and requirements.
• Case Manager will be responsible for completing all documentation necessary for the processing of rental deposits and rent payments, and submitting this documentation on a weekly basis within established time frames, to ensure that checks may be processed for payment to property managers/landlords.
• Case Manager must demonstrate knowledge of evidence-based practices, including Trauma Informed Care and the Housing First model, and must demonstrate the ability to engage families in services that further client-centered goals and increase families’ ability to remain safely and permanently housed once SAMMinistries’ assistance ends.
• Case Manager is responsible for working collaboratively with all staff at the Transitional Living and Learning Center, and must work cooperatively with agency volunteers, agency development team staff, senior leadership, and community partners.
• Must administer outcome measurement tools in an appropriate and timely manner, as required by various government and private funding sources.
• Case Manager must maintain client confidentiality and record-keeping that is in accordance with SAMMinistries’ policies and procedures and is in keeping with standards of ethical social work practice.
• Case Manager must have thorough knowledge of the dynamics of family violence and other trauma that participating families may have experienced, and must demonstrate the ability to work with families in a manner that furthers their safety and long-term self-sufficiency. Case Manager will demonstrate the ability to assist families in developing and/or revising safety plans, connecting families to employment and educational resources, and connecting them to a variety of other services, both within SAMMinistries, and in the community, to foster self-sufficiency and social connection.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential duties and responsibilities satisfactorily
• The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required
Education and/ or Experience
• The position requires a Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year college or university, preferably in social work, or in another behavioral science, and at least 2 years’ case management experience, preferably with clients experiencing homelessness, or with other highly vulnerable populations.
• Experience with Rapid Re-Housing and/or housing navigation is preferred, along with experience in working with victims of family violence
• Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, and demonstrate ability to maintain current and complete case documentation
• Must be willing to expand and improve case management skills through formal training, reading, and on-the-job experience.
• Must possess knowledge regarding social work practice and principles, trauma-informed care, and HUD’s Housing First model
• Bilingual (English/ Spanish) is preferred, but not required
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as additions, subtractions, division, and percentages
• The case manager must possess excellent judgment and the ability to handle crises appropriately. Case Manager must be sensitive to the dynamics associated with family violence, homelessness and other trauma.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• The ideal candidate will be a Licensed Social Worker with at least a Bachelor’s Degree
• Employment eligibility verification
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and current auto insurance
• Successful completion of background screening and drug screening
• This position requires on-site face to face contact with clients and program staff
Work Environment and Physical Demands
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• In the course of performing the job, this position typically spends time sitting, standing, climbing stairs, walking, driving, carrying (20lbs), and lifting (20lbs). Operating a computer keyboard, firm/strong grasping, and repetitive hand control. Makes and receives telephone calls. Subjected to outside environmental conditions.
• Requires occasionally traveling to other SAMMinistries locations, and some travel to community resources, sometimes transporting clients to other service providers’ locations or appointments
• SCHEDULE REQUIRES SOME EVENING HOURS, and occasionally, may require work on Saturday or Sunday
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- : San Antonio Metropolitan Ministry
- : 11/03/2018
- : Tomas Torres
- : 210-321-5629
- : Resume-CaseManagerVictimsofCrime@samm.org
- : 1919 NW Loop 410, ste 100A San Antonio, TX 78213