The Texas Commission on the Arts (TCA) has approved funding of 802 grants in its first funding round for fiscal year 2019. The grants total over $4 million and will go to nonprofits and units of government in 115 cities. These grants include all of the Arts Create program grants, the first of two funding rounds for the Arts Respond Project program, the quarterly Arts Respond Performance Support program, and the quarterly Commission Initiatives and Designated Funding category.
“We are pleased to be able to provide support for so many quality arts activities across the state,” said Gary Gibbs, executive director of TCA. “The substantial work that our grantees are doing not only advances the creative economy in Texas, but provides valuable art experiences for Texans in rural communities, schools, hospitals, social service settings, military facilities and more.” For the full list of grants organized by city, please visit http://www.arts.texas.gov/cities19/cities/.
TCA Commissioners also approved the designation of four new cultural districts. Cultural districts are special zones that harness the power of cultural resources to stimulate economic development and community revitalization. These districts can become focal points for generating business, attracting tourists, stimulating cultural development and fostering civic pride. The new cultural districts are the Canadian Cultural District, the Historic Downtown McKinney Cultural District, the Old Spanish Trail Cultural Corridor in San Antonio, and the Sherman Cultural District. This designation brings the total number of cultural districts in Texas to 40.
Arts Create grants
- Provide year-round operational support to Texas arts organizations with budgets over $50,000
- For fiscal year 2019, 373 Arts Create grants totaling over $3 million are allocated to 373 organizations in 72 Texas cities.
Arts Respond Project grants
- Fund arts-based projects that address one of the priority areas of economic development; education; health and human services; natural resources and agriculture; or public safety and criminal justice
- 281 grants are approved to receive a total of $855,046 in this program
- Applications came from 281 arts organizations in 65 cities.
Arts Respond Performance Support grants
- Provide partial support to help applicants host an artist from the Texas Touring Roster in their community
- 146 grants for this quarter will go to 107 organizations and units of government in 70 Texas cities.
- These grants total $191,187.
The Commission Initiatives and Designated Funding grant program distributed $17,500 received from the National Endowment for the Arts via one grant to conduct the Poetry Out Loud high school competition in Texas. An additional $5,000 was approved to support the Texans for the Arts Foundation’s speaker and artist fees for Arts Advocacy Day in Austin, which will be held February 5, 2019.
About The Texas Commission on the Arts
The mission of the Texas Commission on the Arts (TCA) is to advance our state economically and culturally by investing in a creative Texas. TCA supports a diverse and innovative arts community in Texas, throughout the nation and internationally by providing resources to enhance economic development, arts education, cultural tourism and artist sustainability initiatives. For more information on TCA and its programs, please visit www.arts.texas.gov.
- : Texas Commission on the Arts