The Big Show is an ambitious annual exhibition of new work by artists practicing within a 100-mile radius of Lawndale.
Evelyn C. Hankins, PhD
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
Evelyn C. Hankins has been a curator at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden since 2007. While at the Hirshhorn, she has also organized an array of projects, including Mark Bradford: Pickett’s Charge (2017); Robert Irwin: All the Rules Will Change (2016); Susan Philipsz: Part File Score (2016); At the Hub of Things: New Views of the Collection (2014) (co-curated); Jennie C. Jones: Higher Resonance(2013); Over, Under Next: Experiments in Mixed Media, 1913-Present (2013); ColorForms (2010); Walead Beshty: Legibility on Color Backgrounds (2009); and The Panza Collection (2008). Currently, she is working on shows with Charline von Heyl (2018) and Pat Steir (2019). In addition to her exhibition responsibilities, Evelyn provides curatorial oversight for the Hirshhorn’s paintings and works on paper collections. Previously, she held curatorial positions at the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, and the Robert Hull Fleming Museum at the University of Vermont, Burlington. She earned her MA and PhD in art history from Stanford University.
- The Big Show is open to artists living within a 100-mile radius of Lawndale.
- Each artist may submit up to 3 original artworks completed between January 2017 to present.
- Work must fit through the 6′ 9″ x 4′ 11″ entryway and cannot exceed 200 pounds in weight.
- Works previously exhibited in Houston will be disqualified.
- All works must be exhibition ready and include proper hanging hardware. Works that are not stable enough to endure the exhibition may not be eligible.
- All works must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- All works must be submitted online via submittable.com.
- Applications will be accepted through Thursday, July 26, 2018 until 11:59 PM (Central Standard Time).
- There is no submission fee.
- Artists must submit a recent exhibition history, including participation in previous iterations of The Big Show.
- Submit only 1 image of each work, along with the image captions (title, medium, dimensions, and year). Artists may submit up to 3 works.
- Images should be .jpeg format. Please limit each file size to 1 MB (minimum size of 4″ x 6″ at 300 dpi).
- Do not submit detail images of the work(s).
- Video submissions will require a link to a hosting site. (e.g.: Vimeo or Youtube). All final work must be submitted to Lawndale in the .mp4 format.
- All files should be labeled as LastnameFirstname_Title_Year completed. Example: SmithJohn_Work1_2017.Jpg
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
We strongly encourage you to apply early. If you are having trouble using the online application system, please don’t hesitate to call us at 713-528-5858 during office hours (Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM) or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.