Sponsored by a coalition of professional health organizations as a part of the annual Texas Obesity Awareness Week and the Texas Health Champion Award Ceremony, the Rising Star Award will be presented to young Texans who have demonstrated exceptional leadership in his or her community in an effort to raise awareness and reduce the burden of the obesity. Past youth recipients have initiated their own community service groups, partnered with various non-profit, educational, and governmental agencies to address local health disparities, coached and mentored, authored children’s books, and have been ambassadors for health policies, all while furthering their education and other extracurricular activities.
The 2018 Rising Star Awards was presented at the 11th Annual Texas Health Champion Award Ceremony held during Texas Obesity Awareness Week (September 9-15, 2018) in Austin.
More about the Texas Rising Star Award:
Award selection criteria:
- Initiative: Applicant sees an opportunity to create or foster an obesity prevention initiative in his/her community.
- Leadership: Applicant serves as a leader or mentor to peers within his/her school, community organization or neighborhood.
- Education: Applicant seeks to learn more about obesity prevention and public health, and understands the value of the learning process in program/community development.
- Future Plans: Applicant has a plan to continue his/her involvement and education in the field of obesity prevention.
- Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living