Clinical Therapist - Part-time Contract
Job Type: Counseling/Social Work
Application Closing Date: 12/4/2013
Skill Sought: Clinical Therapist Status: Part-time Contract
Mission: Established in 1992, ChildSafe is a nonprofit organization that was created to combat child sexual abuse in our community. Serving as Bexar County’s only Children’s Advocacy Center (CAC), we provide a continuum of care – including crisis management, case management, counseling and victim services – to child abuse survivors and their non-offending family members. This year, ChildSafe has expanded its services to reach all child victims of abuse and neglect.
The goals of the agency and its multidisciplinary partners include the following: a recorded forensic interview; ensure the coordination of appropriate and thorough investigation and prosecution of sexual and physical abuse and neglect cases with public and private agencies; provide crisis intervention and on-going counseling; provide public education and professional training; and advocate for the child and family during the investigative process.
RELATIONSHIPS AND CONTACTS
Reports to: Director of Programs
Organizational Relationships: Works cooperatively with agency staff and multidisciplinary team.
Provide counseling for victims of child physical and sexual abuse and/or neglect and their families either at the ChildSafe offices or the clients’ homes. Works with and provides consultation to all members of the multidisciplinary team. Participates in multidisciplinary case staffings and makes referrals to, and consults with, outside agencies as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides counseling to children and adolescents who are victims of sexual abuse, as well as to their families utilizing the following trauma techniques:
a. Building a strong collaborative and therapeutic relationship with parents or caregivers and the young child
b. Identifying feelings and supporting emotional expression and regulation
c. Identifying strategies to help calm the child when feeling overwhelmed
d. Establishing routines and helping the child feel secure (including at home/and Head Start)
e. Cognitive processing/reframing in language appropriate to the child's evelopment; linking feelings, thoughts, and memories
f. Construction of a trauma narrative through age appropriate conversation and observing the child's play and interaction
g. Developmentally appropriate strategies that allow exposure to trauma reminders/memories and feelings in tolerable doses so that they can be mastered and integrated into the child's experience
h. Assuring safety, encouraging self- control, and allowing age-appropriate choices
i. Supporting developmental progress, building resiliency, and closure
2. Prepares and maintains records, reports, and statistics related to client care and workload.
3. Work as a member of a multidisciplinary team of medical professionals, Child Protective Services workers, law enforcement personnel, and members of the judicial system.
4. Facilitates the families return to a sense of safety, trust and control.
5. Facilitate support groups.
6. Conducts initial assessments and assists the physicians with the physical exam on a limited basis.
7. Administers assessment tools and provide evaluation data as required.
8. Avails self of training opportunities either at the agency or at workshops and conferences and maintains requirements to keep licensure current.
9. Provide in home counseling to clients referred from CPS contract as needed.
10. Complete documentation within 24 hours of service.
11. Participate in court proceedings as needed.
1. The ability to relate to children and adolescents in a nurturing, supportive manner and to parents and caregivers in a non-judgmental, empathic, compassionate, and encouraging manner.
2. Able to manage potentially explosive situations.
3. Interact with other professionals and co-workers in a spirit of cooperation and mutual commitment to the goals of delivering the best possible services to the victims of child sexual abuse, physical abuse and neglect.
4. Because of the importance of the therapeutic relationship to the client, a 30-day notice of resignation is requested of all counselors.
5. Bilingual preferred.
EDUCATION / TRAINING REQUIRMENTS
1. Must be willing to participate in on-going trauma specific services training with the CAC of Texas and travel to Austin for these trainings.
2. Preference will be given to counselors currently trained in a trauma specific modality or willing to be trained in a modality approved by ChildSafe.
3. Master’s Degree in a mental health field with Texas license is required.
4. Driver license, liability insurance and reliable transportation required.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
1. General office environment / client homes
2. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
3. Needs to move about the office to access cabinets, files, office machinery including computers, copiers and printers
4. Operates a computer and other office productivity machinery (EG: copiers and printers)
5. Will seldom ascend/descend ladder to retrieve client files
6. Will frequently position oneself to pack emergency supplies including food and clothes for clients which are stored in and above cabinets
7. Occasionally lifts supplies and support materials weighing up to 30 pounds
8. Must be able to observe client’s emotional state to assess and identify needs
9. Must be able to communicate well with clients and supportive family members
No more than a case load of 15 clients.
May need to work during regular business hours or evenings to accommodate client schedules and crisis situations.
Responses to resume will begin on Monday, November 11, 2013.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to:
Sue Ellen Ruggles
Director of Operations
Location: 7130 West US Hwy 90
San Antonio, TX 78227
Name:Sue Ellen Ruggles
Web Site URL:www.childsafe-sa.org
Your TXNP Weekly E-Newsletter is made possible by the generosity of:
PCHAS of Texas and Louisiana - Volunteer - Faith Based Volunteering -Presbyterian Children's Homes and Services of Texas and Louisiana offers a variety of faith based volunteering opportunities.